, or "Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary of Santander") is located in the Spanish city of Santander.
Its structure is mainly Gothic, although it has been extended and renovated in later times.
The church is also a basilica of immemorial memory.
The construction of the lower floor dates from the 12th century, shortly after the city was granted its fueros.Initially the abbey church, it was made a collegiate church under the title of the Colegiata de los Cuerpos Santos ("collegiate church of the Holy Bodies") in 1131 by King Alfonso VII, the Emperor.The architects in charge of this task were José Manuel Bringas and Juan José Resines del Castillo.The respectful restoration performed on the affected parts today permits the appreciation of the architectural qualities of the original monument.The church was expanded in the 16th and 17th centuries, incorporating new chapels.
In 1754 the diocese of Santander was created, and the collegiate church was transformed into a cathedral by Pope Benedict XIV, as the seat of the new bishop of Santander.